STAIN REMOVAL TIPSLearn some helpful tips from our carpet cleaning experts.
Spot Removal Steps
1. Act Quickly! Most carpet available today has been treated with a stain-resist treatment in the factory, so many spills can be removed if immediate action is taken. Even with that treatment, spills will still set and become harder to remove with time. The longer you wait, the higher the probability is that a spill becomes a permanent stain. Remember, staining is influenced by many factors, and no carpet is completely stain proof. You need to take the right precautions to stop stains before they set in.
2. Blot liquids with a dry, white, absorbent cloth or white paper towel (no printing that may transfer onto the carpet).
3. Don’t scrub it in! Scrubbing may cause pile distortion in the affected area and push the spills deeper. Continue to only blot using a dry cloth or paper towels until the area is completely dry. For semi-solids, gently scrape up with a rounded spoon. Solids should be broken up and vacuumed until completely removed.
4. Pretest any spot removal agent in an inconspicuous area to be certain the solution will not damage the fiber or the dye. After applying several drops to the testing area, hold a white cloth on the wet area for 10 seconds. Examine the carpet and cloth for color transfer, color change, or damage to the carpet. If a change occurs, another cleaning solution should be selected.
5. Apply a small amount of the selected cleaning solution to a white cloth and work in gently. Follow the spot remover directions carefully.
6. Work from the edges of the spill to the center to prevent the spill from spreading. Remember not to scrub!
7. Continue using the first cleaning solution as long as there is a transfer of the spill to the cloth. It is not necessary to use all of the cleaning solutions if the first solution removes the spill.
8. Be patient! Complete removal of the spill may require repeating the same step several times. Do not continue to step 9 until the stain has been completely removed.
9. Rinse the affected area thoroughly with cold water, and blot with a dry cloth until all of the solution has been removed. Some cleaning solutions will cause rapid soiling if the solution is not completely removed.
10. Apply a one-half inch layer of white paper towels to the affected area, and weigh down with a flat, heavy object. Continue to change paper towels as needed under the affected area is dry. A dry, absorbent, cleaning compound may be used as a substitute to accelerate drying time.
If the stain can’t be lifted, despite your best efforts, give us a call at Green Leaf Chem-Dry at 360-339-7577. We specialize in removing stains from carpets!
Arm your home with Chem-Dry World Famous® Spot Remover for Water-Based Spills and World Famous® Grease & Oil Remover for oil-based spots.
We provide superior residential and commercial carpet, upholstery, and tile cleaning services throughout Thurston County, Lewis County, & Grays Harbor County, Washington including Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, Elma, McCleary, Aberdeen, and the surrounding areas.
Green Leaf Chem-Dry
Carpet, Upholstery, Area Rug & Tile Cleaning in Olympia, WA
Call for A Free Estimate:
Hours: Sun-Sat 8am-8pm
*Based on results from a study conducted by an independent laboratory using Chem-Dry's Hot Carbonating Extraction process. Allergens tested were dog and cat dander and dust mite allergen. Airborne bacteria results include the use of sanitizer. Figures are an average across multiple homes.